Southern Style Collard GreensFrom mitchki 5 years ago
- 1/2 lb. bacon shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- 1 TB hot sauce shopping list
- 2 cup beef broth (chicken broth would work too) shopping list
- 1 TB vinegar (cidar or red wine vinegar) shopping list
- crushed hot peppers shopping list
- 1 lb collard greens shopping list
- 1 16-oz can pinto beans shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the bacon till crispy.
- Pour off most of the bacon fat and place the onion, chopped, in the pan and cover. Heat with bacon until onion is softened.
- Add the broth, hot sauce, and vinegar. Stir.
- Add the collard greens, You may need several additions, steaming till wilted between additions.
- Put the lid on and simmer till the greens are limp.
- Add the can of pinto beans, drained, and shake on some of the hot crushed red peppers.
- Simmer for at least a half hour till greens are tender.
- Goes well with a simple roasted or grilled meat.