Alsatian Pork ChopsFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 4 thick pork chops shopping list
- 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- 2 fresh bay leaves shopping list
- 2 sprigs sage shopping list
- 2 white onions finely sliced shopping list
- 1 carrot quartered lengthwise shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves crushed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries crushed shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup gin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 pound jar prepared sauerkraut well rinsed under cold running water shopping list
- Sprigs of watercress for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Put pork in bowl then cover with white wine.
- Add herbs, onions, carrot, garlic, juniper berries, stock and gin.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or overnight then transfer to glazed clay pot.
- Put pot in cold oven and turn to 400 degrees then cook until liquid comes to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook 1 hour then remove meat and strain cooking stock.
- Chill and skim fat.
- Place layer of meat in bottom of pot and season then add a layer of sauerkraut.
- Repeat until all meat and sauerkraut has been used.
- Add skimmed stock then put into oven and heat to boiling point.
- Reduce heat to 300 and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- To serve place 2 tablespoons sauerkraut on heated dinner plates and put 2 slices of pork on top.
- Garnish with watercress then drizzle with stock and serve immediately.