New England Clam ChowderFrom michkali 7 years ago
- 1/2 teaspoon butter shopping list
- 1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced shopping list
- 1 cup onion, minced shopping list
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon The House spice Blend (see below) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cans clams (6-1/2 ounces) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups Half and Half shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- 2-3 medium potatoes, boiled , peeled and diced shopping list
- clam Chowder House Blend spices shopping list
- 2 tsps Fresh rosemary (4 tsps Dried) shopping list
- 2 tsps Fresh thyme (4 tsps Dried) shopping list
- 2 tsps fresh basil (4 tsps Dried) shopping list
- 1 tsps Fresh tarragon (2 tsps Dried) shopping list
- 1 tsps fresh marjoram (2 tsps Dried) shopping list
How to make it
- In a heavy-bottomed, dutch oven or soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and the house spice blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown.
- Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Should be 1 cup.
- Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes
- Add white pepper, potatoes ... . Heat to serving temperature. Cook a little longer if your potatoes are not tender. Add the clams right at the end to ensure that they don't get too tough.
- Serve immediately with fresh bread or crackers.