Creamy Spiced Coconut Butternut Squash SoupFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 4 pounds butternut squash or other winter squash, such as kabocha, preservation or Hubbard shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided use) shopping list
- coarse salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, finely minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 6 cups chicken stock shopping list
- one 8-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare the squash, trim both ends. Cut the squash in half. Cut off all the skin. Cut the rounded part in half and remove the seeds with a metal spoon. Cut the squash into 1-inch dice, put them on a lightly oiled baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the Chinese five-spice powder. Bake in a 400-degree oven until soft when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- To roast the seeds, spread them on a baking sheet, lightly coat with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast along with the squash for 10 minutes.
- To make the soup, cook the onion with a sprinkling of salt in the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the ginger and cook another 2 minutes. Add the squash and stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Puree the soup in a food processor or with an immersion blender and return to the saucepan. Stir in the coconut milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with roasted seeds.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating2 people
Ooooooooo you are making me hungry and so early in the morning for me too hahaha my mouth is watering big time hahaha...love soups !!!!!love the coconut milk in this its my fav.i keep lots of it around hahahaminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Sounds awesome! I like the addition of the coconut milk. A definite must try and 5 to you for posting!lincolntoot in Freehold loved it