Roasted Plum Tomatoes With Fresh HerbsFrom wdsdy 6 years ago
- 12 ripe plum tomatoes, washed, dried and halved lengthwise shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided use) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Place the tomatoes on the sheet, cut-side up.
- Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hour, or until the tomatoes are shriveled and beginning to brown on the bottom.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the remaining oil, parsley, thyme and garlic. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and sprinkle the herb mixture evenly over the top.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the herbs are just beginning to brown.
- Makes 24 tomato halves.
- Makes about 4 to 6 servings --depending on your appetite!
- WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH THEM
- These moist and flavorful roasted tomatoes make an excellent side dish on their own but also have numerous uses, such as:
- -Coarsely chop them and toss with pasta along with some flavorful cheese, such as pecorino or parmesan.
- -Add them to a sandwich instead of using a high-fat spread such as mayonnaise.
- -Puree them with their skins to make an intense pasta or pizza sauce.
- -Chop them and add some fresh herbs to make a salsa for grilled chicken or fish.
- -Top a pizza with them, along with some fresh basil, roasted peppers and part-skim mozzarella.
- -Puree them with chicken broth, canned white beans and some fresh thyme to make a flavorful soup.
- -Chop them and scramble them with beaten eggs, sliced black olives and some shredded prosciutto.
- -Toss them into a green salad instead of fresh tomatoes.
- -Puree them with a can of chickpeas and a bit of garlic and olive oil for a tomato-infused hummus.