Mint-Cilantro Chicken CurryFrom katerina 7 years ago
- 2 cups cilantro, chopped shopping list
- ½ cup mint, chopped shopping list
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped shopping list
- 1.5 cups red onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- ½ cup canola oil shopping list
- 1.5 tablespoons cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons garlic , crushed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 2 cup plain yoghourt, stirred, or 3/4C whole buttermilk shopping list
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, bone in shopping list
- 3 cups basmati rice, cooked shopping list
How to make it
- Mix cilantro leaves and stems, mint leaves, jalapenos, and ginger in a food processor and the cup of water and puree until smooth, set the cutney aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy shallow pot on med heat for 1 min. Add cumin and coriander seeds and allow them to sizzle for about 30 seconds.
- Add garlic and saute for about 3 minutes or until golden brown, Stir in salt.
- Turn off the heat and after 2-3 minutes stir in 1C yogourt. Add chicken thighs and stir well. Turn the heat to medium and cover and cook for about 25 minutes, stirring regularly. (If you have the time, let it cook a little longer, then the chicken should just fall off the bone.) Remove curry from the heat and cool for about 20 minutes.
- Transfter chicken to a mixing bowl. Wearing latex gloves peel chicken meat off the bones. The size of the chicken pieces doesn't matter but do not shred them. Discard bones and stir chicken back into curry.
- Stir in mint-cilantro chutney and the other cup of yogourt, About 15 mins before serving bring curry to a boil on medium heat. Turn down the heat to a summer cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes or until chicken is ell mixed.
- Serve over rice.