Beef WellingtonFrom moggy 8 years ago
How to make it
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 220C/Gas 7.
- 2. Trim and tie up the fillet at intervals with fine string so it retains its shape. Heat the oil and 15g of the butter in a large frying pan.
- 3. Add the meat and fry briskly on all sides to seal. Press down with a wooden spoon while frying to seal well. Roast for 20 minutes, then set the beef aside to cool and remove the string.
- 4. Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms in the remaining butter until soft; leave until cold, then blend with the pate.
- 5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a large rectangle about 33 x 28cm and 0.5cm thick.
- 6. Spread the pate mixture down the centre of the pastry. Place the meat on top in the centre. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg.
- 7. Fold the pastry edges over length ways, and turn the parcel over so that the join is underneath. Fold the ends under the meat on the baking sheet.
- 8. Decorate with leaves cut from the pastry trimmings.
- 9. Brush with the remaining egg and bake for 50-60 minutes depending how well done you like your beef, covering with foil after 25 minutes.
- 10. Allow the Beef Wellington to rest for 10 minutes before serving.