Viennese Apple PieFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 11 and 1/2 oz (320 grams) plain flour, plus extra for dusting shopping list
- 3 oz (80 grams) superfine sugar shopping list
- Grated rind of 1/2 lemon shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 5 and 1/2 oz (165 grams) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces, plus extra for greasing shopping list
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten shopping list
- salt shopping list
- For the Filling: shopping list
- 3 and 1/2 oz (100 grams) sultana (Thompson seedless) grapes shopping list
- 4 apples shopping list
- 4 ladyfingers, crumbled shopping list
- 3 and 1/2 oz (100 grams) shelled walnuts, chopped shopping list
- 2 and 1/2 oz (65 grams) superfine sugar shopping list
- Pinch of ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter shopping list
How to make it
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a mound, make a well in the center and add the sugar, lemon rind and eggs.
- Mix with your fingertips to a fine, crumbly mixture, then gradually work in the butter.
- Shape into a ball and leave to rest in a cool place for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Place the sultanas in a bowl, add warm water to cover and leave to soak for 15 minutes, then drain and squeeze out.
- Peel, core and dice the apples, place in a large bowl, add the ladyfingers, sultanas, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C (350Â°F) Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a rectangular pie dish with butter.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line the prepared dish.
- Spoon the tilling evenly on top.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, place on top of the pie and crimp the edges to seal.
- Brush with the beaten egg yolk and bake for 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool before serving.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
Sounds very different and unique! Another great recipe, thanks for sharing, Midge!juels in Clayton loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
A Slice Of Pie126 members
Bake Sale126 members
An Apple A Day30 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Cakes Of Any Type142 members
Desserts Desserts Everywhere49 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members