Butternut Squash-Leek SoupFrom kytigger 6 years ago
- 1 whole garlic head shopping list
- 4 teaspoons olive oil shopping list
- 6 cups thinly sliced leek (about 4 large) shopping list
- 4 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 medium) shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- crumbled bacon for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap head in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic, squash, 2 cups water, broth, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until squash is tender. Place half of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over the opening in the blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture.
- If you find the soup is to think I have use chicken broth or low-fat milk to thin
The Cookkytigger Louisville, KY
The Rating3 people
Very good soup/recipe - will make this again! I was first attracted to the lack of dariy. I do like that but wanted to make one that didn't rely on that. Then the roasted head of garlic and of course the leeks cinched it for me. Very simple and quick...morerbenash in loved it
love Squash anything thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
yes yes yes -- this is just exactly the kind of recipe that is healthy and tasty ... I've saved it for when I go to the store and get the leek and squash... thanksanitagae in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!