Braised Veal Shanks With White Bean and Tomato SauceFrom astrochef 6 years ago
- 5 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 2 Tsps unsalted butter shopping list
- 6 10 ounce veal shanks (2 inches thick) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup carrots chopped shopping list
- 1 cup celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, (this was optional for The Hanson's as they disliked garlic) shopping list
- 2 fresh bay leaves shopping list
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley plus more for garnish shopping list
- lemon zest cut into 2 inch strips shopping list
- 1 15oz can white beans rinsed and drained shopping list
- 1 28oz can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley shopping list
- 1 tbs freshly grated lemon zest shopping list
How to make it
- In a pan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and the butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, in the fat brown the veal shanks, and transfer them to a plate.
- Pour off the fat from the kettle, add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and in it cook the onion, the carrot, the celery, the garlic, the bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened.
- Return the shanks to the kettle, add the thyme, 5 of the parsley sprigs, the zest, the beans, the tomatoes, the wine, and the broth, and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Braise the mixture, covered, in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven, basting the shanks every 30 minutes, for 2 hours, transfer the shanks with a slotted spoon to a plate, and keep them warm, covered.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and the bay leaves and in a blender or food processor puree the vegetable mixture in batches. (For a chunky sauce,
- purée half the vegetable mixture and stir the purée into the remaining vegetable mixture.)
- Serve the veal shanks topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the gremolata. Garnish each serving with an additional parsley sprig.
- Make the gremolata.
- In a small bowl stir together the parsley, the zest, and the garlic.