Sauerkraut Rye Bread ABM mix oven bakeFrom dollhead 7 years ago
- USING YOUR bread MACHINE (FOR MIXING ONLY)-ADD THESE INGREDIENTS IN THE ORDER LISTED BY MANUFACTURER: shopping list
- 1 cup rinsed and well drained (almost squeezed out) sauerkraut that you have chopped a bit shopping list
- 3/4 cup warm (not hot) water shopping list
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons each:molasses, melted butter and brown sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (I used 3 teaspoons) shopping list
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (if using table salt-use a little less) shopping list
- 1 cup rye flour shopping list
- 2 cups bread flour shopping list
- (for a darker loaf-add 1-2 teaspoons baking cocoa-I did, and no, there's no chocolate flavor-it's just there for color) shopping list
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten-optional *I liked the texture better with gluten, but you may like it without shopping list
How to make it
- Put ingredients in loaf pan of bread machine in the order manufacturer suggests (in my case, it is as written above).
- Select DOUGH cycle & press start. REMEMBER-some machines don't knead as well as others. If you aren't sure about yours (especially when making a rye or wheat bread with its heavier and less gluten dough), just run it thru another knead portion of dough cycle to get the kneading it needs for a successful loaf. To do this-just unplug it so computer in it can reset itself and start the dough cycle again. It won't hurt the bread.
- Once DOUGH cycle complete, remove dough and shape it on parchment or a cornmeal dusted pan.
- Dust liberally with flour and let it rise again for about an hour. It may not double, but that's OK as long as it gets enough kneading**(see note below). Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slash loaf about 1/4" to 1/2" deep in whatever pattern you choose. Once loaf has risen for about 1 hour, load it into oven and bake for about 45 minutes until it's nice golden brown.
- Break out the pastrami!
- **NOTE: I also did 1 dough cycle in machine, then covered loaf pan with plastic wrap and let it rest in my cool kitchen for several hours before baking and it came out great.
- **Also makes 8 delicious rolls (about 4 oz. each) & baked for about 32-35 minutees. I brushed them with an egg/water wash & loaded on the caraway seeds.
The Cookdollhead Mechanicville, US
The Rating5 people
made similar and it is great!midgelet in Eastern loved it
Love the combo of ingredients in this bread! Sounds wonderful! Bookmarked, thanks for sharing this!juels in Clayton loved it
Sounds great....High 5 my friend. Yummers.chefmeow in Garland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!