Spice Cake from the Great DepressionFrom lacrenshaw 5 years ago
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 cups strong coffee OR water OR apple juice shopping list
- 1/2 cups shortening shopping list
- 2 cups dark raisins OR diced pitted prunes shopping list
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon allspice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cloves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (your choice) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a medium saucepan, simmer together the sugar, coffee, shortening, raisins and apple for 10 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, all the spices and the nuts.
- Pour the cooled sugar mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 13x9x2" baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes OR until cake tests done.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating5 people
Love it! esp with prunes!midgelet in Eastern loved it
awsome recipe wow gotta love it thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
wow!!!!!!!! this is amazing i love the spice cakes yummmmmmmmm for sure
five five five
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it