Pepper Ginger ChickenFrom choclytcandy 8 years ago
- 1 small broiler, about 2 1/2 pounds shopping list
- 2 tbs shredded fresh hot peppers shopping list
- 4 tbs shredded peeled ginger shopping list
- 2 small whole scallions, shredded shopping list
- 4 tbs oil shopping list
- Marinade: shopping list
- 2 tbs light soy sauce shopping list
- 1 tbs dry sherry shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tbs cornstarch shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tbs sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch shopping list
- 1 tbs light soy sauce shopping list
- 3 tbs ChenKong or red-wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp roasted and crushed szechuan peppercorns shopping list
- 1 cup stock shopping list
- 1 tsp sesame oil shopping list
- Note: shred means to cut or tear into irregular strips shopping list
How to make it
- Remove and discard the fat and tail of the chicken; rinse and drain. Place the chicken in a snug pot, add boiling water to cover, and set on high heat. When the water boils again, turn heat to medium-high to maintain a strong boil and let it boil for 10 minutes, turning the chicken from side to side. Remove the chicken to a colander, reserving 1 cup of broth for sauce. Spray the chicken with cold water to stop the cooking. When the chicken is cool, chop it through the bones into small pieces about 1 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long. Put them in a large bowl. This may be done hours or 1 day in advance. If so, cover and refrigerate.
- Marinade: Add the marinade ingredients (cornstarch should be added last) toss to season evenly. Marinate for 10 min at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shred the hot peppers, ginger, and scallions into fine shreds about 1 inch long. Combine sauce ingredients; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat a wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat until hot; add the oil, swirl, and heat for 30 seconds. Scatter in the peppers, ginger, and scallions and stir vigorously for about 5 seconds. Add the chicken pieces and stir rapidly and vigorously in fast turning motions for 1 minute, then pour the sauce over. When i boils, lower the heat slightly and stir in fast and rapid turns for 2 minutes until the meat is thoroughly cooked and deeply flavored. Pour into a serving dish.