Mexican Hot Chocolate ChipsFrom mia795 4 years ago
- FOR COOKIES: shopping list
- German chocolate cake mix shopping list
- 1 Tbsp fresh ground cinnamon or 1 1/2 Tbsp pre-ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 Tbsp ground/dried chili pepper (not powder) seasoning shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted shopping list
- 2 jumbo eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips shopping list
- up to 1/4 cup water or milk (as needed) shopping list
- FOR DUSTING COOKIES: shopping list
- 1/4 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp pre-ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg shopping list
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder shopping list
How to make it
- COOKIES: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Empty contents of the chocolate cake mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in cinnamon, chili pepper, nutmeg until evenly distributed through the cake mix and any lumps in the cake mix are broken down.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the 2 eggs and melted butter. Stir with a firm spatula or spoon until all dry ingredients are incorporated and a thick dough forms. As needed, add a tablespoon of water or milk (no more than a 1/4 cup total) to make dough pliable enough to incorporate the eggs and butter evenly. You do not want the dough to be so wet that you can't form rolled balls of dough easily without them sticking heavily to the spoon or losing shape when placed on a baking sheet.
- Add in chocolate chips and work into dough until evenly distributed.
- Measure out dough in 1 Tbsp-size portions and use hand to form balls. Place them on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake full sheets of cookies in batches in the center of the oven for 10-12 minutes each sheet, remove from oven and transfer cookies to cooling racks immediately. Cool completely. If not serving immediately, place in an airtight container in a cool place for storage.
- DUSTING: In a small mixing bowl, sift together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cocoa powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon until well mixed. Store in airtight container until ready to use. When cookies are cooled and ready to serve or pack for holiday giving, roll each cookie in the powdered sugar and spice mixture until lightly coated, tapping each cookie lightly to remove the excess. Some of the chocolate cookie can show through the powdered mix; you don't need to coat the cookies entirely or thickly (unless you prefer them that way). Pack for gift giving or plate to serve. Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies from a standard size cake mix.
- Tastes great with a glass of red wine, hot chocolate, coffee or just a large glass of milk. Mmmmmmm. Spicy chocolate goodness.
The Cookmia795 Bellevue
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!