Basic Bechamel Sauce for the Four Cheese BarquettesFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour.
- Pour in all the milk, whisking constantly until it starts to boil.
- Season with salt, lower the heat, cover and simmer gently, stirring occiasionally, for at least 20 minutes.
- Bechamel sauce should not taste floury. Remove pan from the heat. Taste and add more salt if necessary and season with pepper and/or nutmeg.
- If sauce is too thick, add a little more milk.
- If too runny, return to the heat and add a pat of butter mixed with equal quantity of all-purpose flour.
- For a richer Bechamel, replace half the milk with the same amount of heavy cream.
- For a lighter Bechamel, add half milk and half water.