Clam ChowderFrom nadelman 7 years ago
- 3/4 stick butter shopping list
- 3-4 strips of salted pork shopping list
- 6-7 red potatoes shopping list
- 2-3 sticks celery, chopped shopping list
- 2-3 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 lbs clams. If buying cans, use 2 large cans whole baby clams, 4 small cans chopped clams shopping list
- 6 oz clam juice (optional) shopping list
- Quart of half-and-half, whole milk, or mixture of the two (depending how rich you want the chowder to be) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes
- melt 1/2 stick of butter in a large pot.
- Cut the strips of salted pork into smaller (not tiny) pieces, and add to the butter
- Saute the pork in butter until it starts to brown (5 minutes)
- Remove about half of the pork for the butter
- Add celery and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add clams and clam juice. Cook until clams turn a more opaque color (5 - 10 minutes)
- Take half of the potatoes and chop into cubes (does not have to be too small)
- Take the other half of the potatoes and mash. This will be used for thickener in the chowder.
- Add dairy to pot, and cook until warm (do not boil).
- Stir in mashed potatoes. This is a relatively thin chowder, but if you want it thicker, take some of the cubed potatoes, mash them, and add them at this point.
- Add remaining 1/4 stick of butter, cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- If serving immediately, add the remaining potatoes now, and heat chowder to a simmer, then serve.
- Otherwise, let soup sit (it tastes better after sitting for 2-3 hours). Add remaining potatoes when heating the soup back up.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.