Buttermilk Battered Vidalia Onion RingsFrom chef_irish 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 cup corn starch shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper shopping list
- 2 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 4 vidalia onions (or other sweet onion, such as Maui), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and separated into rings shopping list
How to make it
- In a 3-quart pot, preheat 4-inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flours, cayenne, paprika, salt, and white pepper.
- Pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish.
- Toss the onion rings in the flour mixture and shake off excess flour. Add to buttermilk mixture and make sure the rings are thoroughly coated. With a clean hand, add rings to flour mix again and shake off any excess flour.
- Begin to fry in preheated oil in small batches, 1/4 of total amount at a time.
- Cook onion rings for about 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally with metal tongs or slotted spoon, until crispy and browned.
- Drain on paper towels and keep in warm place (low oven, about 200 degrees F) until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with extra salt, if needed.