Fried Squirrel and GravyFrom chef_irish 4 years ago
How to make it
- Put seasoned flour into small paper bag.
- Put squirrel, one or two pieces at a time into bag and shake to coat with flour.
- Meanwhile melt crisco in cast-iron skillet.
- Put squirrel pieces into pan and brown on both sides.
- Reduce heat, cover skillet, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until done.
- Pour off about half the fat.
- Stir in flour from the bag until you have a very thin roux, or put about 2 Tbs. of the flour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and add milk, then put on the lid and shake until the flour is dissolved and all the lumps have gone.
- Make sure you scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add milk, stirring, and bring to a boil. If the gravy is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin add more flour and milk mixture and reheat to a boil.
- Serve When Ready and Tender!!!