Batter Fried ZucchiniFrom chef_irish 8 years ago
- 1 large zucchini, washed, trimmed, cut lengthwise into strips 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick shopping list
- olive oil for frying shopping list
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt shopping list
- ---------- shopping list
- For batter: shopping list
- 8 ounces of bottled soda water shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare zucchini: Cut zucchini slices in half if they are long. Slices measuring about 3 inches long work best.
- Put slices in a bowl, salt, and let sit 20 minutes. Pour off liquid before putting in batter.
- Make the batter: Pour the soda into a bowl, and stir in flour and salt slowly, using a whisk or fork to mix.
- Fry: Bring oil to high heat. Coat zucchini in the batter, use a fork to place pieces in oil and fry 5-6 minutes, until golden on both sides and batter puffs up. Drain on absorbent paper toweling just long enough to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot.
- The key to great crispy zucchini is to slice thinly and fry at high heat so the zucchini has time to cook but not absorb a lot of oil. Use a cheese slicer, mandoline, or long-bladed knife to get uniformly thin slices.