Meaty ChiliFrom alp26 5 years ago
- 1 15-oz can pinto, kidney, or garbanzo beans shopping list
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder shopping list
- 1 cup tomato juice shopping list
- 1 green pepper shopping list
- 1 15-oz can chili beans, undrained shopping list
- 1 14 oz can stewed (chopped, etc) tomatoes shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 8 oz ground beef/turkey (optional but recommended) shopping list
- some shredded cheddar cheese (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Open pinto/kidney/garbanzo beans and drain. Open can of tomatoes and chili beans. Place the 8 oz of beef onto skillet (believe me, no oil is required for this). Break apart and fry till beef bits are browned. Put into colander to drain out the oil well. Set all of these ingredients aside.
- Cut green bell pepper in half and de-core it. Cut vertically then horizontally as well. The pieces should be medium-small. Dice onion into very small pieces.
- Place tomatoes, green pepper, onion, tomato juice, and chili powder in saucepan. Stir well, then turn on burner to medium-high heat. Bring tomato mixture to boil. Turn burner to low heat. Cover pan with lid and simmer mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Add drained pinto/kidney/garbanzo beans and beef to tomato mixture. Stir. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes or until heated through thoroughly. This makes about 6 cups. In the serving dish with the chili, for the sake of color, sprinkly some cheese in the middle of the bowl. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with dill pickles and crackers.