Homemade Butterscotch Meringue PieFrom chef_irish 8 years ago
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell baked shopping list
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 1/4 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 2/3 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Make 9-inch pie shell and bake.
- Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in water and milk. Add butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks. Then blend egg yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Blend in vanilla. Pour immediately into baked pie shell. If desired, finish immediately with Pie Meringue.* Otherwise, let cool at room temperature.
- Lastly, pie may be chilled thoroughly (about 2 hours) and topped with sweetened whipped cream.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium bowl until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat. Beat in vanilla. Tops a 9-inch pie.
- Spoon meringue over hot pie filling.
- Spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees F or until meringue is delicate brown.
- Remove from oven and cool away from draft.
- Serve. Immediately refrigerate any remaining pie.