Buttermilk Coffee CakeFrom chef_irish 4 years ago
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring shopping list
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup sifted flour shopping list
- 1 egg, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans shopping list
How to make it
- Stir together 2 cups flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Measure 3/4 cup of mixture and set aside for topping.
- To remaining flour mixture add 1/3 cup flour; blend well.
- Add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough into a buttered 9-inch square pan.
- Mix together the reserved flour sugar mixture and the chopped walnuts or pecans; sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake coffee cake in a 350° oven for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let coffee cake cool in pan then cut into serving-size pieces.