Thai CustardFrom lori4flavor 8 years ago
- 1/4 cup mung beans (found in Asian grocers; they look similar to dried yellow peas) shopping list
- 2 cups thick coconut milk (you can also substitute milk here) shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 10 Tbsp palm sugar (also found in Asian grocers) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut shredded shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- ___ shopping list
- 1 cup shredded onion shopping list
- 1 cup oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- Cook beans in boiling water 20 mins. until soft. Remove and liquefy with thick coconut milk in a blender to make bean milk.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix eggs and palm sugar well, then cook with bean milk, along with the shredded coconut and salt, on low heat until thick, stirring during cooking. Pour into baking pan ( I use a small square pan), and bake at 350F for 45 mins. Continue baking at 500F for an additional 5 mins.
- Heat oil for deep-frying, then fry onion over medium heat until onion is golden brown. Remove and place on absorbent towel. Sprinkle onion on custard. Let cook completely, then cut in slices.