Italian Lettuce SoupFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 2 round lettuces, separated into leaves shopping list
- 1 large crisp lettuce, separated into leaves shopping list
- 3 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 onion, chopped shopping list
- a handful of mixed fresh herbs, chopped finely shopping list
- 6 thin slices coarse, crusty bread, -- such as ciabatta, toasted lightly shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Blanch all the lettuce leaves together in lightly salted boiling water for
- about 3 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the water.
- Tip the lettuce leaves into a colander and leave to drain.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and fry the onion and herbs together for about 6 minutes.
- Chop the drained lettuce leaves and add to the fried onion and herbs.
- Stir carefully, then add the reserved water.
- Stir, then bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the bread in a large, wide, warmed serving bowl and pour the soup over the bread.
- Serve at once.