Chicken Tortilla SoupFrom myszreesey 8 years ago
- 2 medium tomatoes shopping list
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, peeled shopping list
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided shopping list
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half (6 ounces) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches) shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrot shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup spicy hot V8 juice shopping list
- 1/3 cup frozen corn shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/4 cup cubed or sliced avocado shopping list
- 1/4 cup shredded mexican cheese blend shopping list
How to make it
- Brush tomatoes, onion and garlic with 1 teaspoon oil. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender, turning tomatoes once. Peel and discard charred skin from tomatoes; place in a blender. Add onion and garlic; cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Sprinkle chicken with lemon-pepper and salt; broil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Cut one tortilla into 1/4-in. strips; coarsely chop remaining tortilla. In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil. Fry tortilla strips until crisp and browned; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan, cook the zucchini, carrot, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and chopped tortilla over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato mixture, broth, V8 juice, corn, tomato puree, jalapeno and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Cut chicken into strips and add to soup; simmer 5 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with avocado, cheese and tortilla strips.
The Cookmyszreesey Auburn, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!