Chicken Vegetable Soup with BarleyFrom oz 8 years ago
- 10 quart stockpot shopping list
- 1 whole chicken cut up. Reserve Giblets. shopping list
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut up to bite sized pieces. shopping list
- 4-5 medium carrots peeled and sliced. shopping list
- 1 medium - large onion - chopped and diced. shopping list
- 1 shallot - chopped and diced. shopping list
- 3 stalks celery sliced. shopping list
- 3 medium parsnips sliced. shopping list
- 2 medium turnips chopped up to bite sized pieces. shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley. shopping list
- 1 Teaspoon fresh rosemary. shopping list
- 1 Teaspoon fresh sage shopping list
- 1 Teaspoon fresh thyme ( You can substitute dry herbs for fresh) shopping list
- 1 clove Garlic Smashed and chopped. shopping list
- 2 Medium bay leaves. shopping list
- 2 cups of cooked barley. shopping list
- salt n pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- Place cut up Chicken in a 10 Quart stockpot and add water to within 2 inches of top of pot.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 60 minutes.
- During the cooking process I remove the fat from the top of the water as it cooks.
- Remove Chicken from water and cool to the side.
- Check your water level. It should be at least half of the pot. If not add water.
- Add Vegetables, Herbs and Salt N Pepper to Pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cut up Chicken to bite sized pieces and add to pot.(Add Giblets if desired)
- Add cooked Barley to Pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until vegetables are cooked through.
- For a more intense Chicken flavor I add 1-2 Knorrs Chicken Bouillon cubes.
The Cookoz Freehold, NJ
The Rating3 people
Oh! The addition of the root vegetables just makes this dish more delectable. I can't wait to try this at home, neighbor. Thanks for the great post, oz.. you got my five.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!