Tomato Conserve chutneyFrom lifeofspice 7 years ago
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes (preferably Italian plum), un-drained shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar (this may be a bit much, maybe 1 cup) shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne) shopping list
- 2 Tb minced garlic shopping list
- 2 Tbs minced fresh ginger shopping list
- 2 Tbs raisins shopping list
- Chopped dried apricots (optional) shopping list
- fresh mint (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Bring tomatoes and juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to boil in saucepan.
- Stir in garlic and ginger.
- Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer gently 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and continue simmering, stirring frequently, until mixture mounds slightly on spoon, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in raisins (and apricots and mint if using). Adjust seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerates well for an indefinite period of time (maybe not if you use the fresh mint.)