Mushroom Barley Soup With MeatballsFrom dond 8 years ago
- 4 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- ½ cup pearled barley shopping list
- 1 large thyme sprig shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 lb mixed wild and cultivated mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ pound ground sirloin shopping list
- ¼ pound ground veal shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 2 tablespoons panko shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-Reggiano shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- sour cream, for serving (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock, water, barley and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the barley is nearly tender, about 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms and shallot, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until tender and browned, about 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sirloin, veal, egg, panko, cheese, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Knead the mixture until blended, then roll it into sixteen 1-inch balls.
- Add the meatballs and mushrooms to the soup and simmer over moderate heat until the meatballs are cooked through and the barley is tender, about 8 minutes. Discard the thyme and bay leaf.
- Stir the parsley into the soup and serve in bowls with sour cream.