Parippu Red lentil dhalFrom omshivs 8 years ago
- * 225 g red lentils, washed thoroughly shopping list
- * 2 onions, one roughly chopped and the other very finely chopped. shopping list
- * 1 ripe tomato roughly chopped shopping list
- * 1 250 ml can of coconut milk shopping list
- * 5 green chillies, chopped 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds shopping list
- * 10 curry leaves shopping list
- * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves shopping list
How to make it
- In a heavy based saucepan add 500 ml of water and add the lentils, stir and let it come to a boil. Add the roughly chopped onion, tomato, coconut milk, chilli, turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander and let it again come to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the lentils are cooked to a soft mush.
- For the final seasoning heat two tablespoons of oil in a small saucepan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the popping and spluttering of the seeds subsides add the onion and curry leaves and fry over low heat until the onion is golden brown.
- Pour the seasoned onions over the simmering lentils and stir. Garnish with the chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- ENJOY :)
The Cookomshivs London, GB
The Rating3 people
This recipe is great! The best dal I ever had. Thanks!skemsley in Bloomington loved it
So simple and easy to make. I didn't have curry leaves, so after reading a few things online I decided to substitute them with a few bay leaves and some dried basil. I also fried off some garlic at the same time as the finely chopped onion, which was...morepetesjoy in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!