Venison PepperoniFrom keni 7 years ago
- 2lbs ground venison(or other meat) shopping list
- 1T cure(ie Tenderquick or other sausage/meat cures or msg can be subbed, as well) shopping list
- 2t liquid smoke(I like Hickory flavor) shopping list
- 2t peppercorns shopping list
- 1t mustard seeds shopping list
- 1t fennel seeds shopping list
- 1/4t red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1/4-1/2t cayenne(sub paprika for a less spicy sausage) shopping list
- 1/4t anise seeds shopping list
- 1/4t cumin shopping list
- 1/2t dried thyme shopping list
- 1/2t dried oregano shopping list
- 1T olive oil(omit if using ground beef) shopping list
How to make it
- In mortar and pestle or small coffee grinder, combine peppercorns, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, anise seeds, thyme and oregano and grind coarsely
- In large bowl, add liquid smoke, olive oil, cumin, cure and seed blend to ground meat.
- Mix thoroughly with hands or with dough hook on a stand mixer, until combined.
- Let rest refrigerated at least 8 hours.
- Form mixture into thin "snakes' about 6 inches long(I use the stick attachment on a jerky gun for this,but they can be rolled by hand)
- Dehydrate according to instructions, or at least at 160 degrees for about 12 hours.
- Or, bake at 300 on wire rack over cookie sheet, for about 3 hours. Sausage should have dry, tough outside and a uniform, slightly moist inside.
- This recipe can also be formed into logs if baking in the oven, but baking time will increase by a couple of hours.