Lentils with BaconFrom wmhaynes 8 years ago
- 1 (16oz) bag brown lentils, well rinsed shopping list
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced shopping list
- 1 onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 or 3 carrots, diced shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 or 5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (or one 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs shopping list
- ¼ tsp white pepper shopping list
- ½ tsp garlic salt shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups beef or chicken broth shopping list
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into small pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Put the lentils in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil gently for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a heavy frying pan cook the bacon until crisp, then transfer bacon to a plate to drain on paper towels. Pour off all oil except 1 tbsp.
- Stir the onion and carrot into the fat in the pan and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until just softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the tomatoes, Italian herbs, garlic salt, white pepper, bay leaf and lentils. Add the broth and cover the pan.
- Cook over a medium-low heat for 35 minutes then add the broccoli and cook another 10 minutes, until the lentils and broccoli are tender, stirring occasionally. Add a little more broth or water to the pan if the lentils get dry.
- Uncover the pan and allow any excess liquid to evaporate. Add the reserved bacon pieces and serve hot.
The Cookwmhaynes Simpsonville, SC
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!