Vegetarian CassouletFrom aussie_meat_pie 8 years ago
- 225g - 8oz dried haricot beans, soaked overnight shopping list
- 2 medium onions shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1.4 litres - 2 1/2pints cold water shopping list
- 550g - 1 1/4 lb large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm - 1/2inch slices shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 5 Tsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed shopping list
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced shopping list
- 200g can chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 1 Tsp dark muscovado sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped thyme shopping list
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley shopping list
- 3 courgettes(zucchini), trimmed and sliced shopping list
- *FOR THE TOPPING: shopping list
- 50g - 2oz fresh white breadcrumbs shopping list
- 25g - 1oz cheddar cheese, finely grated shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180 d C/350 d F/Gas Mark 4, 10 minutes before required. Drain the beans, rinse under cold water and put in a saucepan. Peel 1 one of the onions and add to the beans with a bay leaf. Pour in the water.
- Bring to a rapid boil and cook for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until the beans are almost tender. Drain the beans, reserving the liquor, but discarding the onion and bay leaf.
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 6-7 minutes until almost tender when tested with the point of a knife. Drain and reserve.
- Peel and chop the remaining onion. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion with the garlic and leeks for 10 minutes until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, thyme and parsley. Stir in the beans, with 300ml - 1/2pint of the reserved liquor and season to taste. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Layer the potato slices, courgettes and ladlefuls of bean mixture in a large flameproof casserole dish. To make the topping, mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through and the topping is golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately.