Curried Red Lentil and Tomato SoupFrom mattandmaren 6 years ago
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter) shopping list
- 2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 3 jalapeno chili peppers, halved, cored, seeded and minced. (I've also used 4 serrano chilies, prepped the same) shopping list
- 1 pound red lentils, rinsed and checked for extraneous material shopping list
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano diced tomatoes with juice (or equivalent peeled fresh tomatoes) shopping list
- 8 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock shopping list
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- Coarse salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Optionally, yogurt or sour cream for a garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a soup pot heat the olive oil (or melt the butter) and cook the onions until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, garam masala, coriander and peppers and cook gently for another minute or two until fragrant.
- All the lentils, tomatoes and stock. Stir and bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender but not falling apart.
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Optionally serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.
The Cookmattandmaren Kirkland, WA
The Rating1 people
Serranos would give it a nice kick. I love lentils and this is similar to an Egyptian red lentil dish I make.. I like the flavor combo in your recipe... High Five.....jimrug1 in Peoria loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!