Classic White CakeFrom dandelion 7 years ago
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 6 large egg whites (3/4 cup) shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Set rack at the middle level in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom of two 9-inch round or one 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan. Line bottom with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape the bowl and beater often.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan(s) and smooth top with metal spatula. Bake cake(s) about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.
- Note: For a classic yellow cake- Substitute 3 large eggs and 1 yolk for the egg whites.