Deep-Fried Black-Eyed Pea and Ham Bites with a Sweet Cranberry Dipping SauceFrom domesticdiva0001 6 years ago
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and roughly mashed shopping list
- 2 shallots, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup cooked ham, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 4 egg whites shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Dipping Sauce: shopping list
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- vegetable oil, for frying shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl combine the peas, shallot, bell pepper and ham. Mix in
- cornstarch, egg whites, salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the dipping sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, syrup and garlic powder.
- Heat through until warm. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep-fryer until it reaches 325 degrees F. Working in batches and using
- 2 teaspoons, carefully slide small portions (bites) of the pea mixture into the hot oil. Note: The
- pea mixture is not very firm, so you have to slide them into the hot oil