Vegetarian Thai Spring RollsFrom aussie_meat_pie 7 years ago
- 50g - 2oz cellophane vermicelli shopping list
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms shopping list
- 1 Tbsp groundnut oil shopping list
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks shopping list
- 125g - 4oz mangetout, cut lengthways into fine strips shopping list
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped shopping list
- 125g - 4oz canned bamboo shoots, cut into fine matchsticks shopping list
- 1cm - 1/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated shopping list
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce shopping list
- 1 medium egg, separated shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 20 spring roll wrappers, each about 12.5cm - 5inch square shopping list
- vegetable oil for deep-frying shopping list
- spring onion tassels, to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Place the vermicelli in a bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave to soak for 5 minutes or until softened, then drain. Cut into 7.5cm - 3inch lengths. Soak the shiitake mushrooms in almost boiling water for 15 minutes, drain, discard the stalks and slice thinly.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan, add the groundnut oil and when hot, add the carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the mangetout and spring onions and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Tip the vegetables into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Stir the vermicelli and shiitake mushrooms into the cooled vegetables with the bamboo shoots, ginger, soy sauce and egg yolk. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Brush the edges of a spring roll wrapper with a little beaten egg white. Spoon 2 teaspoons of the vegetable filling on to the wrapper, in a 7.5cm - 3inch log shape 2.5cm - 1inch from one edge. Fold the wrapper edge over the filling, then fold in the right and left sides. Brush the folded edges with more egg white and roll up neatly. Place on an oiled baking sheet, seam-side down and make the rest of the spring rolls.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or deep-fat fryer to 180 d C - 350 d F. Deep-fry spring rolls, 6 at a time for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and arrange on a warmed platter. Garnish with spring onion tassels and serve immediately.