Lemon Cornmeal and Cherry SconesFrom borinda 4 years ago
- 1 cup dried cherries shopping list
- 1 cup hot tea shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1 Tbsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- Freshly grated zest of 2 lemons shopping list
- 6 Tbsp room temperature unsalted butter broken into pebbles shopping list
- 1/2 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup real, pure maple syrup shopping list
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I prefer the Mexican) shopping list
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 Tbsp water shopping list
- Large grained sugar for garnish to sprinkle shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the hot tea and extra hot water over the cherries and let them soak for about 15 minutes to plump them. Drain and spread on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In a bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- With a pastry knife cut in the butter until the mixture resembles small peas - don't overdo the handling.
- Fold in the cherries.
- In a cup mix the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour that into the batter and gently mix with a wooden spoon until the milk is incorporated which will result in a moist batter.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form 1/4 cup balls of the bhatter onto the parchment paper about two inches apart. Brush each one's top with the egg wash and sprinkle the sugar atop.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until they are golden.
- With a spatula transfer the scones to a rack to cool a bit.
- Serve with preserves and whipped cream and tea.
The Cookborinda SoCal, CA
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!