Brown Rice with Shiitakes and ScallionsFrom peetabear 8 years ago
- 4 whole dried shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps sliced, or 1 cup dried shiitake slices shopping list
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice, rinsed shopping list
- 1 piece dried kombu (seaweed), rinsed (optional) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (green part only) shopping list
How to make it
- Soak shiitakes in 3 cups hot water until soft, as directed on package (at least 25 minutes). Save soaking water. Strain soaking water through a fine-mesh sieve into a large saucepan; add rice, shiitakes, kombu (if desired), soy sauce and salt. Bring to a boil, stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until all liquid has evaporated and rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to rest 10 minutes. Stir in scallions and serve immediately.