Cacoila portuguese stewed beefFrom dione73 6 years ago
- 4.5lb rump roast, cut into 2-3" chunks shopping list
- 1/2c crushed red peppers* or 1/2t crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2T unsalted butter or lard shopping list
- 2c hearty red portuguese table wine (port) shopping list
- 2T tomato paste shopping list
How to make it
- 4.5lb rump roast, cut into 2-3" chunks
- 1/2c crushed red peppers* or 3/4t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2T unsalted butter or lard
- 2c hearty red portuguese table wine (port)
- 2T tomato paste
- the day before cooking, coat the meat pieces with the crushed pepper and place in a covered bowl in the refrigerator overnight.
- scatter the onion slices, parsley, garlic and bay leaf in the bottom of a dutch oven. place the meat on top and dot with butter or lard. mix together the wine and tomato paste and pour over the meat.
- bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the meat is very tender (about 3-3.5 hours) turning the pieces occasionally to keep moist.
- serve with boiled white potatoes and roasted red peppers.
- *crushed red peppers are exactly that: red peppers that have been ground. get 2-3 large med-hot red peppers. remove the stems but not the seeds. place them in a food processor fitted with a metal blade add 2T of olive oil and 1T of salt. whirl until blended.