Gluten Free Vanilla CakeFrom peetabear 4 years ago
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, margarine or Spectrum Organic shortening shopping list
- 2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 4 large eggs, room temperature shopping list
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour Blend + extra for dusting shopping list
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1½ cups cow’s milk or rice milk, hot shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans and dust with gluten-free flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat margarine and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy again, scraping down bowl.
- In a separate bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
- Add half the dry mixture to the sugar mixture and beat at low speed until combined. Add half the milk and blend. Then add remaining dry ingredients and milk. Mix on medium-low speed until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Divide batter equally between the two prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 35 minutes or until done. Cool the cake for 20 minutes in pans. Then turn cake onto wire racks and cool completely before frosting.
- Cake serves 16..
- TIP: This cake can be made egg free. Replace 4 large eggs with 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce mixed with 2 teaspoons baking powder + 4 tablespoons warm water mixed with 1 tablespoon gluten-free egg replacer.
- Coconut Cake
- Substitute 1 tablespoon pure coconut extract for the vanilla; substitute coconut milk for milk of choice; then add cup coconut flakes (optional) to the cake batter, stirring until combined.
- Lemon Cake
- Substitute 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract for vanilla; reduce milk by 1/3 cup and add 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice; add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest to the batter when adding the eggs.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!