Moist Fruity Nut BreadFrom jo_jo_ba 7 years ago
- 13 1/2 oz pitted, chopped dates shopping list
- 1 2/3 cups boiling water shopping list
- 1 medium banana, mashed shopping list
- 2 tbsp low-fat milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup canola oil shopping list
- 2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar (optional) shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup spelt (or whole wheat) flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds shopping list
- 1/4 cup toasted whole hazelnuts shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the dates and water. Let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in the banana, milk, oil, vanilla and sugar (if using) until well blended (I found it best to use a potato masher).
- Combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, spice and salt.
- Stir into the wet mixture until just blended, then mix in the nuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan, filling no more than 2/3 full (I got 4 medium muffins as well as the loaf).
- Bake 50 minutes (20 minutes for muffins), or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan(s) 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and cooling completely.