Coconut-Rum Meringues with Red Raspberry Sauce regular and gluten freeFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- 6 egg whites shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar shopping list
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark rum shopping list
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut shopping list
- Red Raspberry Sauce shopping list
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries, shopping list
- thawed and crushed shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 cup tart red jelly shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in dry bowl until foamy. Slowly add sugar while beating on medium speed; then add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and vinegar while beating on high until mixture is very shiny and forms stiff peaks. Cover 2 cookie sheets (11 x 17-inches) with heavy paper on which is drawn two circles of 8-inches each (centered). Fill a pastry bag (large tip) with half of meringue mixture. Start in the center of a circle and pipe a spiral to completely fill the circle to the outer edge. (This forms the bottom layer.) Around outer edge pipe a second then a third coil to form a 1 3/4-inch side wall. Refill bag and repeat second circle. Bake 50 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave meringues inside for 25 more minutes, then remove to a cool place.
- Whip heavy cream with an electric beater until thickened. Slowly beat in rum and last 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Beat until stiff. Fold in 1 1/2 cups of coconut. Spread remaining 1/2 cup coconut on cookie sheet and broil 4-inches from heat unit 2 or 3 minutes to reach toasty golden color.
- Carefully remove 1 meringue shell from paper, and gently peel away paper from shell. Place shell on a round plate or platter. Fill center with 1/2 the whipped cream mixture. Carefully place second shell upside down over the first. Ice top and sides with remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle top and sides with toasted coconut. Garnish plate with seasonal flowers and serve with Red Raspberry Sauce. Whipped topping flavored as in recipe may be substituted for whipped cream\
- Red Raspberry Sauce
- Combine berries and cornstarch; add jelly. Bring to a boil quickly. Stir while cooking until juice clears and mixture thickens slightly. Strain and cool.
- Other sauces such as peach, pineapple, cherry or hot fudge may be used as desired