Chicken Borscht - Chicken Soup With Cabbage Carrots Tomatoes And PotatoesFrom txgreg 6 years ago
- 1 whole chicken (or 4-5 breasts) shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- 4 potatoes, diced shopping list
- 3 carrots, sliced shopping list
- 1 16 oz. pkg. shredded cabbage, or 1 lb fresh cabbage, shredded shopping list
- 4 peppercorns shopping list
- 4 whole allspice berries (or 1 tsp. ground) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 chicken bullion cubes shopping list
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1-2 quarts water shopping list
- 1 cup Half & Half shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- Cook chicken in salted water until tender. Remove from broth, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onions to broth and cook until almost tender.
- When vegetables are almost cooked through, add diced chicken, tomatoes, cabbage, bullion cubes, and a spice ball containing the peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaf.
- Continue cooking until cabbage is tender.
- Add half & half and allow to heat through.
- Note: Do NOT omit the allspice! That is what makes this recipe so good.
The Cooktxgreg Dallas, TX
The Rating2 people
Thank you so much, greg! Of course, you get me ^5 on this one. I know that the allspice is in there for the cabbage and that addition just makes this post better! Keep on cookin', dude.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
This sounds great. Can not wait to try it. I agree with lacrenshaw on this one. The allspice with the cabbage make this soup. You have our 5 as well!
J and Mquaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it