Chicken Borscht - Chicken Soup With Cabbage Carrots Tomatoes And PotatoesFrom txgreg 7 years ago
- 1 whole chicken (or 4-5 breasts) shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- 4 potatoes, diced shopping list
- 3 carrots, sliced shopping list
- 1 16 oz. pkg. shredded cabbage, or 1 lb fresh cabbage, shredded shopping list
- 4 peppercorns shopping list
- 4 whole allspice berries (or 1 tsp. ground) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 chicken bullion cubes shopping list
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1-2 quarts water shopping list
- 1 cup Half & Half shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- Cook chicken in salted water until tender. Remove from broth, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onions to broth and cook until almost tender.
- When vegetables are almost cooked through, add diced chicken, tomatoes, cabbage, bullion cubes, and a spice ball containing the peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaf.
- Continue cooking until cabbage is tender.
- Add half & half and allow to heat through.
- Note: Do NOT omit the allspice! That is what makes this recipe so good.
The Cooktxgreg Dallas, TX
The Rating2 people
This sounds great. Can not wait to try it. I agree with lacrenshaw on this one. The allspice with the cabbage make this soup. You have our 5 as well!
J and Mquaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it
Thank you so much, greg! Of course, you get me ^5 on this one. I know that the allspice is in there for the cabbage and that addition just makes this post better! Keep on cookin', dude.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it