Basic Curry SauceFrom sitbynellie 7 years ago
- 2 oz. butter or ghee shopping list
- 2 lb. onions, chopped up very small shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- A little water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- A little oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced fine shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ginger root, grated fine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (or none, or more than 1 tsp. if you like it hot! shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot, melt the butter or ghee.
- Add the onions, cumin seeds, salt and water.
- On a very low heat, cook the onions, covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. After 1 hour, take the lid off and raise the heat very slightly, and cook uncovered for another 20 minutes. The onions should be brown and caramelized and disintegrating into the consistency of sauce.
- Add the tomato puree and the turmeric and mix well.
- In a frying pan, heat a little oil.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry very gently for a few minutes to bring out the flavours. Don't let it burn!
- When done, add in the onion sauce and blend together. Use this sauce as a base for many different curries.