Gold standard Irish StewFrom capedread 7 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 2 pounds lamb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 large handful barley shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks shopping list
- 2 parsnip, peeled and sliced shopping list
- 2 stick celery sliced shopping list
- 4 cups water, or as needed shopping list
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary shopping list
- 1 cup coarsely chopped leeks shopping list
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add lamb pieces until browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and parsnips and cook gently alongside the meat for a few minutes.
- Stir in the water and barley
- Cover and bring to a boil before turning the heat down to low. Simmer for 1 hour or longer,
- depending on the cut of meat you used and if it is tender yet.
- Stir in potatoes, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, before adding leeks and rosemary.
- if there is too much water let simmer uncovered to reduce down
- Continue to simmer uncovered, until potatoes are tender but still whole. Serve piping hot in bowls garnished with fresh parsley.