DarBars Spicy Chicken Barley and Brown RiceFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shopping list
- ½ cup flour, shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- ************ shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 red onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped shopping list
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced, ribs and seeds removed (leave them in for more heat) shopping list
- 2/3 cup pearled barley shopping list
- 1/3 cup brown rice shopping list
- 1 14-oz can chicken broth (or homemade) shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley shopping list
- 1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Slice the chicken breasts two or three times lengthwise and chop each strip into ¼” pieces. Put the chicken pieces in a large ziplock bag along with the flour, salt and pepper. Seal the ziplock with plenty of air in the bag. Shake it up and around until all of the pieces are coated with the breading.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-to-high heat. Take the chicken pieces and place in the hot oil, and brown the chicken, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook onion, jalapeno, and red pepper in oil and chicken residue for a couple of minutes until very fragrant. Add more oil if necessary. Stir well, scraping bits from the bottom of the pan.
- After a few minutes, add barley, brown rice and thyme. Cook and stir 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until barley starts to brown.
- Add broth and water. Stir well, scraping up any remaining bits from the pan bottom. Add chicken back to pan, nestling it in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice and barley has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and nuts just prior to serving.