Gluten Free JambalayaFrom yay4glutenfree 7 years ago
- 1 green bell pepper shopping list
- 1 medium yellow or white onion shopping list
- 3 stalks of celery shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken cut into bite sized chunks shopping list
- 1 lb. smoked sausage shopping list
- 10 mushrooms shopping list
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked shopping list
- 8 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onion shopping list
- 4 cups of chicken broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup veggie oil shopping list
- salt and red pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- Try adding a package of spinach or baby carrots that have been finely chopped. This is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies. shopping list
How to make it
- In a very large saute pan, heat oil. Saute chicken, stirring every few minutes until the chicken begins to stick to the bottom of the pan and has turned a rich brown color on all sides. This will take about twenty minutes. This is a very important step since it is the color of the chicken that gives this jambalaya the color.
- Add sausage and saute for about five to seven minutes, stirring often.
- Push all the meat to one side and tilt the pan. Remove about half of the oil that drains.
- Reduce heat to medium and add celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Stir and saute until caramelized. This should take about seven to eight minutes. If you are adding spinach or carrots, add them here.
- Increase heat to high and add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- Add salt and red pepper to taste. You want to over season at this point since the rice will cut the seasoning.
- Add mushrooms, green onion, parsley and rice. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and cover.
- Stir after fifteen minutes and cook for fifteen more for a total of thirty minutes.