Potato Gratin with Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone CheeseFrom blackcupcake 5 years ago
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms* shopping list
- 1 cup boiling water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese** (from about 1 1/2 seven-ounce containers) shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices shopping list
How to make it
- Place porcini and 1 cup boiling water in medium bowl.
- Place small bowl atop mushrooms to keep submerged. Let soak 20 minutes.
- Drain and coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Melt butter with oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Whisk 1/4 cup Parmesan and next 4 ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- DO AHEAD: Mushrooms and cheese mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter wide shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange 1/4 of potato slices in bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Scatter 1/4 of mushrooms over.
- Repeat. Spread half of cheese mixture over, shaking dish to settle. Repeat with remaining potatoes and mushrooms in 2 layers each; spread remaining cheese mixture over. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over.
- Place gratin dish on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake gratin until top is brown and sauce is bubbling at edges, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let gratin rest 15 minutes before serving.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Tent loosely with foil and rewarm in 300°F oven 20 minutes.
- *Available in the produce section of many supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Italian markets.
- **Italian cream cheese; sold at many supermarkets and at Italian markets