Banana Pudding that Jeremy madeFrom zoetheunicorn 5 years ago
- 1/3 cup cornflour (slightly heaped) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 5 eggs, (at room temperature) separated shopping list
- 600mL milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 packet Arnotts Marie biscuits (thats for us Australians, the recipe i based this on was an american one (duh) and called for vanilla wafers, which are a plain, sweet biscuit/cookie) shopping list
- about 4 ripe bananas shopping list
- lemon, (to squeeze, optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar, extra shopping list
- 1 Tbsp dessecated coconut shopping list
How to make it
- Place the cornflour and sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Add egg yolks and mix well.
- Add a small amount of the milk and mix to a paste. gradually add the remaining milk.
- Microwave on HIGH for about 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so (use a whisk) until its nice and thick and custardy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Spread a little of the custard over the bottom of a large oven-proof dish. Top with a layer of biscuits, breaking some to fit.
- Top with a layer of sliced banana. (Squeezing a little lemon juice over the banana will stop it from turning brown if you dont think your troops will eat it all in one go)
- Pour over 1/3 of the remaining custard.
- Repeat biscuits, banana, custard, then again. (three layers, ending in custard)
- In a large glass bowl, use electric beaters to beat the egg whites until theyre stiff but not dry. Gradually add in sugar, beat until stiff peaks form. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
- Spoon meringue on top of the custard, fluffing it up so you get peaks. (it will be big) Sprinkle on the coconut and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the meringue is slightly browned.
- Cool and chill.