Raspberry Buttermilk CakeFrom chef2 7 years ago
- Raspberry buttermilk cake shopping list
- A quick and easy recipe from Gourmet Magazine (June 2009) for a tender buttermilk cake topped with a nice, sugary crunch. This recipe works with any berries (including frozen). Make sure to allow the cake to cool before inverting (or it may fall apart) or you can serve it straight from the pan with vanilla ice cream. shopping list
- 45 min | 15 min prep shopping list
- SERVES 8 shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk shopping list
- 1 cup raspberries (about 5 ounces) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.